23 August 2009

Tomorrow, tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the day of destiny. My bags are packed, my papers are in order, my to-do list checked off (well, nearly).
Bologna is known for having the best food in Italy, which, of course, has the best food in the world. So, after a summer of preparation, eating peanut butter, burgers, and American pizza and ice cream at every opportunity, I am heading off to the gastronomical capital of the world. Ten months of pasta, can she do it? My taste buds, and waistline, have no idea what’s coming.
Before I board the plane, I’d like to take a moment to reflect on what I hope to gain from this experience. Care to join me? I love making lists.
Some Things I Want to Do (in no particular order):
- Take a cooking class
- Become fluent in Italian
- Stay in touch with friends and family
- TRAVEL (some possibilities: France, Germany, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, Ireland, through Italy)
- Go to an Italian soccer game (calico!)
I’m sure this list will grow and shrink, but it’s nice to have something to start from. It all sounds so epic, doesn’t it?
I’ve been looking at apartment postings on kijiji.it, a kind of Italian ebay, and I emailed a few people about ones that sounded reasonable. I received a response already, and it seems that I have an appointment the day I arrive!
My flight leaves Pittsburgh at 4:30 pm tomorrow. From there I’ll go to Washington, D.C., then Munich, then arrive at Bologna at noon on Monday, Italy time (which is six hours ahead of Eastern Time). Just gotta work on that sick feeling in my stomach...
Signed, the Sengenblogger

3 comments:

  1. Maria, at last the long-awaiting adventure begins. I am so excited for you even though I will miss you more than you know. Italy will love you even more than you will love Italy...Looking forward to your colorful blog posts and the descriptions of all the amazing the food you will eating. Va 'con Dio, mia figlia cara. L'amore sempre, PapĂ 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,

    Have a safe flight! We love you!

    John, Lisa, Julia & Theresa

    ReplyDelete