26 August 2009

I primi giorni a Bologna








Buonasera! I'd love to fill you in on my first days of Italian life.

Yesterday was a very long day. Probably because I didn't sleep more than a half hour on the plane and missed the transition from one day to the next. When I arrived in Munich, I had very little time to get off one plane and on the next, in fact, I never stopped walking the whole half an hour I spent in the city. I heard announcements looking for lost passengers, in english and german, depending on the nationality of the passenger. When I was nearing my gate, another announcement came on, in German. But I understood one word: Sengenberger. They thought I was German! So I marched right up to the lady with a big "Good morning!" That settled it. Boisterous Americans. There's simply no substitute.

They temporarily lost my luggage on that little flight over the Alps! This Chinese kid was in my seat when I got there, but I managed to get him to move. After all night in a middle seat, I was taking that seat! But this guy clearly had no concept of personal space, as he was leaning on me almost the whole flight, looking out my window. It was worse when he started filming the flight, and stuck is camera two inches in front of my face. And then cracker got stuck in my throat and I needed a drink of water and I was going to bump his arm if I did... I managed to survive.

Getting to Bologna, I realized that Rodolfo, also going to BCSP from ND, was on my flight the whole time! Small world. And Clara, who I'd met on Facebook, had gotten in an hour earlier and waited for me. So we set off together in a taxi. Friendly guy. Great welcome to the city. We arrived at the hotel, met some other people from the program, and then went on a walk. A long walk. The city is very interesting (I'm trying not to use cliched "beautiful" or "cool"). The streets are narrow, and are covered by porch-like porticoes. No umbrella needed. But it has been sunny and hot since we got here. Rodolfo, Clara and I went back to the aeroporto to get my luggage, and learned how to use the bus system along the way, which involved a lot of walking to the wrong bus stops. We were all at the point of falling asleep. After dinner, a group of us walked down to the Piazza Nettuno (with a large fountain of said god) and got our first (well, for me at least) real Italian gelato. Delicioso. And then we finally went to sleep. A lot done on our first day!

Today was another stuffed day. We started out with orientation meetings, which included applying for the permesso di soggiorno, a document which will allow us to stay here. Useful, but long and complicato. Then we grabbed lunch and some of us went to get our cell phones. The man at the Wind shop was very friendly, as all the Italians have been. Now that I have an Italian number, and can begin calling people about appartamenti. Which is rather intimidating. Another meeting in the afternoon, about how to find a place. Then a walk, to grab signs advertising apartments. Then Rodolfo, Clara, and I went to look at one. It was in a beautiful and peaceful part of the city, but none of us really were enamored of it. A very good experience, nonetheless. Also because we passed the Sorbetteria, a well-known gelato place. Of course we stopped. It was even better than the night before. I know what you're thinking. But no, I will not be getting gelato every day.

And tonight, I had my first Italian meal. It was at a pizzeria, so obviously all of us thought it was going to be pizza, but Andrea Ricci--head of BCSP program--had other plans. The first course was eggplant lasagna, fresh mozzarella, parmesan, zucchini, potatoes. And everything was fabulous! Then this awesome pasta dish arrived. The pasta was made at the restaurant, and went stupendously with the white cream sauce, prosciutto, and arugula. For dessert, we got tiramisu (which literally means "pick me up"). That is the reason I am still up at 12:57 Italy time, typing away, and trying to ignore my twitching foot. So much espresso. Which I am enjoying so much more than in the US.

Well, readers, thanks for bearing with me through that long descrizione. I'm still trying to believe I'm actually here.

More to come... always more to come.

Signed, the Sengenblogger

2 comments:

  1. Get Gelato every day! Get Gelato every day! I did it for the two weeks I was there and didn't gain a single pound! (er... kilo?)

    Anyway, good luck finding housing! And thanks again for writing to all of us. It really helps me know what to expect for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the famous proverb "gelato each day keeps the doctor away!" You will need energy for all the apartment hunting you are doing. Hanno una giornata straordinaria di domani!

    ReplyDelete