30 March 2010

Holiday in Spain - Visting Vicky!

My roommate from last semester, Vicky, went home at the beginning of March. At the end of that month, I hopped on a plane to Alicante, Spain, to visit her! Alicante is located along the Costa Blanca on the southeastern coast of the Iberian peninsula, and is famous for its palm trees and beaches. It was a little cold to appreciate the latter attribute, but I can't say I was devastated about it. (I mean, the thought of wearing a bathing suit in public after seven months of eating Italian food isn't the most appealing...)

One night while I was there we went out with her family to a flamenco show. It was an incredibly moving performance, as the dancers and singers' passion for their art was evident in every spontaneous yet practiced movement and note. There was one guitarist, and the singers and dancers took turns performing to his music. When they weren't in center-stage, they would act as natural percussionists, clapping their hands and stomping their feet in fantastically alive rhythms.


La Explanada, one of the most famous spots in Alicante, is a palm tree-lined walkway in the historical center of the city, along the bay.

Once upon a time there was a postman who wanted to spend the night in what was, at that time, the fanciest hotel in Alicante (in the picture, the square building to the right of the P sign). When he enetered, however, the man at the reception didn't believe he would be able to pay, and made the postman leave. The postman, using money he had inherited, decided to build himself a house right next to that snooty hotel. Looks like the last laugh's on them!


There are many wooden bull silhouettes along the highways of Spain.


Alicante was under Moorish rule for much of its medieval existence. This is a view from the fortress on a hill overlooking the city.

The barrio of San Rocco in the historical center of town. The movie "My Life in Ruins," set in Greece, was actually filmed in Alicante.


One day we drove up to the nearby town of Benidorm, or, as I like to call it, the Florida of Europe. The city is very touristy, and is filled with retired Brits. There was sand sculpturing going on that day.
El Palmeral is the largest palm park in Europe. Pope Benedict's branch for Palm Sunday came from here!

Vicky and I as we climbed a small mountain in Calpe. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
The historic barrio of Altea, another town near Alicante.

It was Holy Week, and not only was I able to spend Palm Sunday in the palm capital of Europe and go to the church if Santa Faz (home to Veronica's veil), but I was also able to see my first four religious processions! It is an honor to be asked to carry the large float for the parish, but you'd better be able to handle the two-hour long walk! The picture above only had women carrying the float! Below: in the US we're a bit wary of these hats, but they're standard for Spanish religious processions and have nothing to do with the Clan
.
Although I made it through the weekend on my pathetic amount of un-taught Spanish (thanks in large part to the kindness of Vicky, her friends, and her family), I've decided it needs to go on my list of languages to learn! Vamos!

Signed,
the Sengenblogger

2 comments:

  1. Holy week in Spain!? I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the blog filled with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. Now my task has become as easy as ABC. apartments to rent in costa blanca

    ReplyDelete