10 February 2010

My Date with the Swiss Monk

Got your attention, didn't I?

Last Thursday I went to the seven o'clock (evening) Mass at San Domenico. Afterwards, I asked one of the friars about the youth group I heard about. He told me that it was on Thursday nights at nine, but that I should talk to Fra Daniele or Fra Davide, who are in charge. But they wouldn't be available until after Vespers, which started in ten minutes. So he passed me off to Didier, a very enthusiastic novitiate from the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, notwithstanding his French name and his English speaking skills. Didier gave me a book of Liturgy of the Hours in Italian and a quick tutorial in Italiano-English mush on that night's prayers: rapid page flipping and at least five different bookmarks. After Vespers, which included processing (with song) to three different chapels, Didier invited me to dinner with them so I wouldn't have to go home and come back for the group. I hesitated, thinking it might be a bit awkward, but he insisted. So I followed him to the dining room, standing where he stood, only sitting when he sat. And when we sat, no other friar sat next to us. The two of us at one table, surrounded by forty other Dominican friars. I was, obviously, the only woman and, obviously, the only lay person, my pink leg warmers and bright blue sweater sticking out in the sea of white habits. But it was very nice, when I could make myself understood (somehow Italian abandons me in new situations).

After dinner I went with Fra Daniele to the group: Gioventu` Domenicana. One of the highlights: guitar music and singing! Everyone there was really friendly, and I'm so happy to have found a faith group like this in Bologna!

Signed,
the Sengenblogger

1 comment: