18 September 2009

La simple vita

I have been overjoyed to discover that although Italians may walk quickly, and talk quickly, there are some inviolable things that they do not rush through: food and friends. Here in Bologna, there are plenty of each.

Tuesday night, to celebrate Allegra’s first night in her apartment, a group of us decided to have hamburger night. Yes, we are immersing ourselves in Italian culture, but give us a break, it’d been pasta and pane for three straight weeks! And they tasted great. I can’t say better than in the States, but different, and a good different. Cheese was superior, tomatoes were juicier, bread was fresher, and the meat was really good. And then we discovered that the package said “equine.” Yes, it was horse meat. But somehow that shocking realization didn’t faze us, so engrossed in our salivary delights as we were. Then we sat, and talked, and laughed, and everything else was second priority, sleep, homework, and that long to-do list of independent living. Wasting time? It’s true that such behavior in the States would stress me out, but here I’ve learned, or am learning, to slow down a bit.

Tonight, for instance. Clara came over to make dinner, which was a recipe consisting of everything I had in my kitchen thrown together: chicken, prosciutto, rice, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, basil, and last, but not least, brie and fresh mozzarella cheese. …I don’t think I’ll starve this year… Afterwards, we met Rodolfo, Erin, Michelle, Anne, and Sky by the Fontana di Nettuno, grabbed a gelato at Grom, and settled on the steps in front of the Church San Petronio, where we sat for a few hours, just enjoying the glowing Piazza, filled with young Italians. No TV, no music (except for my outbursts of song), no video games, just chatting and chuckles.

I’m looking forward to perfecting the art of relaxation this year, or setting aside time for leisure, for learning how to balance the to-do list with the must-not-miss list. And, of course, eating well along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Maria, so glad your are enjoying the art of relaxation, Italian-style. Relationships are at the heart of life. Love you, kiddo. Have a gelato for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and couldn't help thinking "those hooligans that hang out at the mall."
    Glad you're having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete